Pages

Ian Sands has taken a new position at South Brunswick HS Check out it out! http://ArtofSouthB.com

Friday, November 1, 2013

Student Spotlight: Christian - Art 1


 Student Spotlight: Christian 
Grade 11: Ms. Sudkamp's Art 1
Project: Low Relief


A relief is a sculpture made through a special technique, where the image is made to appear as if it's above the background. There are three main kinds of relief techniques: sunken, where the non-background parts are dug into, making the background into the top layer; high relief, where the image is cut deeply so depth is clearly visible; and low relief, where there's only shallow cuts to help show details.

For my relief piece, I chose to create a gazelle. This is because I wanted to try creating a different animal than the kinds I usually lean towards (foxes, dogs, cats), and make something more new and interesting. I am particularly proud of the fading on the hooves, snout, and ears, as well as the brush strokes on the horns, as they seem to make the gazelle more interesting to look at. If I could redo any parts of this piece, I would have liked to use larger pieces of cardboard so I wouldn't have the odd, folded parts on the horns and legs. I also would have liked for the tail's gradient to be a bit smoother.

Christian 's Blog:  http://apex-2015-christian.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...