Pages

Ian Sands has taken a new position at South Brunswick HS Check out it out! http://ArtofSouthB.com

Monday, December 1, 2014

The Art of Destruction!

For this post, I decided to let the artists speak for the work they created.. or in this case, destroyed. The rest of the words on this post were written by the students to describe their work.

------- ------- -------

Stop and Smell the Roses



Our destruction project was inspired by the gallery at the Hirshhorn called Damage Control, Art and Destruction; which captivated the beauty of destruction in all different mediums. When we were given the project, I was intrigued with the concept of destroying one piece of art to create a new one. John Baldessari did this with his Cremation Project where he incinerated all of his paintings and made the ashes into cookies which is on display in the Art and Destruction exhibit.


Sticking with this idea, I found a past piece of mine, a poster I made in Art 1 with the quote "Stop and smell the roses", and destroyed it by cutting it into six squares and creating origami roses. By doing this, I took a simple 2-D piece and created a complex 3-D sculpture.


------- ------- -------

The Spoon Tree

The spoon tree was a lot of fun to make, but way more fun to destroy. 



When we were asked how we were going to destroy a project made entirely out of plastic, there was only one stand out option. Fire. After we were told we couldn't set the thing in flames, Mr.Sands gave us a heat gun, which was just as effective in melting the heck out of plastic spoons.



It was very satisfying to murder the spoons. Our plan was to disfigure the tree, but it ended up in a pile except for a few of the leaves. 




The symbolism behind the tree is using something man  made, like plastic, to represent something made by nature, and how ironic it is to destroy something that usually lasts for a long time.

------- ------- -------

Burn Witch, Burn!

I really like the idea of Artists Destroy. For this project I decided to continue with my American Horror Story theme. 


This time, I picked a character from a season I haven't done art for; the third season Coven. I picked the character Myrtle Snow.



I decided to encase her in ice. I did this by making two layers of ice and inserting my drawing  in between. I then dropped the ice and once the drawing was free, I set the drawing on fire. Ironic because Myrtle was burned at the stake.


------- ------- -------

The Pizza

For our artists collaborate my table and I made a big ol' pizza. Each person made their own pizza including one made with magazine clipping pasted on a styrofoam base or another with sheet music and hand drawn instruments glued on. 




Each of us took something that we liked/ were inspired by and channelled that into our pizza piece. In the end, we put all the pieces together for the final complete pizza. We even got a box from the local pizza place, that was big enough to fit our pizza.



For our artists destroy project my group from the artists collaborate project and I decided to "destroy" our project. We decided to do this by first covering the pizza with watered down red paint to imitate pizza sauce and second we put shredded white and yellow paper to imitate the cheese. 



By doing this we were able to take our old piece and turn it into something new. 

------- ------- -------

Put Her In The Blender!


This picture of Rapunzel is a work of art that I made at one point in this art class. We had to choose a piece of art to destroy so I chose this one. What I did to destroy this piece of art, was I put it in a blender and blended it. 


Watch her blend!



Then I poured it into a square thing like in this picture so the blended stuff will dry out and when it is dry it will turn into a piece of paper.


1 comment:

  1. What great ideas! Thank you for sharing your ?creations?/?destructions?--either way, they are fabulous and thought-provoking! Mrs. P @ createartwithme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...