We started with some color theory because it's good to know that stuff. It was quick - I did a mini-lesson overview then commenced the Palette Matching Challenge. This involved giving table groups primary colors of tempera paint and a lovely selection of paint samples with the goal of creating matching colors.
The group aspect of the challenge resulted in lots of color theory conversation, which made the experience full of valuable learning even though it was short.
Next we worked on re-design in our Character Remix project. Students had to pick a character and change something fundamental about them.
|Ariel + Vogue|
|Maleficent + Aurora|
Then we worked on our Two in One project where students had to combine two different elements in one image. Next students will work on the unit's final project where they'll identify themes in a subject they choose and use those ideas as the basis for artwork.
|Chip bag + hot air balloon|
|Steam-punk light |